Monday, July 8, 2013

Getting Started



Some people may wonder how or even why I was chosen and have decided to author this column.  In actuality it's pretty simple; I have a passion to be the very best father that I can be, and would like to be part of helping make the role of dads really great.  As a father and educator, I see the tremendous importance a dad can play in his child's life.  Let us make no mistake about it, as an adult male, there may be no other title that carries so much importance, so much pleasure and so much love as being called  Dad! As a current member of the Coshocton County Fatherhood's Initiative, I was contacted by Mr. William Johnson with a proposal of writing a monthly column for the Coshocton Tribune.  After following up with Valerie Boateng on what she would be looking for in this column, asking my wife, Gretchen (that's an important approval there J), and speaking with my mentors, I decided to make it a must do!

Currently I serve as principal of Warsaw Elementary.  While serving in this position, I have been fortunate to see the important role that dads play in their children's education and development.  A tremendous thing about being in such a position is that you get to see the genuine and reciprocal love of children and dads.  I am very lucky to experience this first hand.  I am so blessed to take my daughter, Kendall, who will be going into second grade, to school with me every day.  This has occurred for the last four years when she began attending preschool.  This quality time will be even better this upcoming school year since our second daughter, Reese, will be joining in the ride as she begins her educational journey as well.  I cannot stress enough how insightful and delightful the travel on U.S. Route 36 to Warsaw will continue to be!  As many of you can attest, the old shows that highlight kids saying the darnedest things will certainly be put to the test J.   

In writing this column, I have several goals.  First and foremost, I would like to keep in front of all our readers the importance of being a Dad, of being a Great Father.  Second, I would like to share stories of being a dad with my own personal and family experiences.  Thirdly, I would like to include a short lesson, activity or challenge that we as fathers can apply in our own family situations.  The plan is to close with something that is near and dear to my heart.  Those that know me, or have had me as a teacher, coach or speaker, know that I love quotes. I plan to wrap up each lesson with a quote to maybe make us think, inspire or motivate while Being Frank with Fatherhood.

I look forward to this journey.  I look forward to shedding light, lessons and laughter to the greatest title a man can hold, Dad!!

Monthly Activity/Challenge:  Think and list 10-15 empowering words that describe your child(ren).  Make time with them to share your list.

Monthly Quote:  “Some people have got advice about fatherhood, some people have got horror stories.  I like the people that look you in the eye with a glow and say, “It’s gonna be cool.” – Russell Crowe

No comments:

Post a Comment