Monday, July 8, 2013

The Real Dancing with the Stars: Celebrating The Dance Dad






First things first, I am not a dancer.  Secondly, I am in no way a star, or implying that I am.  But, I must say it was an extreme pleasure joining roughly 100 other dads, become what I would call The Real Dancing with the Stars.  This first weekend in June led us to the annual dance recital put on by Miss Jennifer’s Dance Studio. This is my fifth year of attending dance, but only my second performance.  For those wondering, I have however had lots of training in watching.  This past year, the girls and I made the voyage to Kids’ America three days a week for lessons.  This I would say was just the continuance of being a dance dad.  Looking back at my upbringing, I guess in some ways I have been in training to become a dance dad since my early childhood days.  My sisters were highly involved in dance, one in fact has been an instructor for twenty-five plus years; so if my math is pretty accurate, this would be about my 36th year of dance.  One would think I would be better than what I am.  Let’s just say, two left feet may be a compliment.

Every two years, the studio has a father daughter dance as part of its recital.  Let us begin there.  As dads, we felt the nervousness of learning our routine as we practiced in the studio.  Two practices are set, although you are required to attend only one, most of us are not what we would call proficient enough after lesson one,  so we decided to return for a second lesson.  In reality, for many of us, it is just another opportunity to spend time with our daughters doing what they love.  So with that, we filled the room with looks and laughter, with smiles and high fives, with hugs and kisses.  This was just the beginning, of what would soon become some incredible memories and performances.  

As butterflies fluttered in our stomachs, we made our  way on stage, jokingly just prior to this, several of us shared that it would be a success if nobody fell off stage, but in our hearts we knew the success would really be holding our daughters and having our One Shining Moment with them.  This performance would be special.  On stage, our daughters would dance with a man who loves them unconditionally, the one who loved them first.  No matter how the dads made their way to the stage, whether  being urged to take the stage by their wives, or by getting  “the look” from their mothers-in-law, the lasting impact it will have on their daughters will run deeper than we will ever know.  Sometimes as fathers we tend to underestimate the influence we have on our daughters, but the simple truth is that dads matter – a lot.  In fact, several studies have shown that girls with fathers who are actively involved in their lives are more likely to have higher grades, more confidence, more social adaptability and are better able to deal with frustrations.  In her book “Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters – 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know,” author Meg Meeker, wrote “The most important person in a young girl’s life is her father. The love you give her is her starting point. If you have a good relationship, she will choose boyfriends who will treat her well. If she sees you as open and warm, she’ll be confident with other men.”  As the most important man in their lives, daughters look to dads for leadership, protection, provision and to teach them how they should be treated. Fathers set the standard that every other man who comes into their lives will be held to.

I was incredibly proud to be part of Miss Jennifer’s Dance Studio presentation, “A Year of Dance”.  I was incredibly proud to share the stage with Kendall, Reese and the other fathers and daughters.  I am incredibly proud of Reese completing her first year of dance.  I am incredibly proud of Kendall for receiving her 5th year award, but even more proud that she stopped to personally say “thank you” to Miss Jennifer as she exited the stage.  I am incredibly proud to be dubbed a “dance dad”.  

So sorry Kellie Pickler, and the 15 previous winners of the so-called hit TV show Dancing with the Stars, the real dancers and stars were on stage June 1st and 2nd at Coshocton High School McKinley Auditorium.  And if you don't believe me, just ask any mom, grandparent or family friend that was in attendance; the spark and tear in their eye that will carry on in their memories, videos and pictures say it all.  I say “Thank You” to Gretchen, Kendall, Reese, and the numerous moms that helped this “dance dad” during “A Year of Dance”. 
  
Monthly Quote: Dance with me Daddy, I take him by the hand, Like a prima ballerina, atop his shoes I stand. With my first and favorite partner, we glide across the floor, By the spark in his eyes, I know I'm loved and adored. He is charming and funny, he is big and strong, we laugh, I twirl and giggle, as I follow him along. We dance into each other's hearts, sweet memories of these days. Daddy and I will dance again, the day he gives my hand away. - Poem by Teri Harrison.


Monthly Challenge: Cities around the country have linked father-daughter dances together into a national event highlighting the important role of fathers in the lives of their children. Whether it is on stage or in the living room of your own home, make time to dance with your daughter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment