Monday, July 8, 2013

Ringing in the New Year: Scrapping Resolutions for Solutions


 It's hard to believe that 2012 has come and gone and the year 2013 is already well into its first month.  Many of us have made, and in many cases already broken, our New Year’s resolutions.  With this being said, I think I have a better option for all that fit in to that category.  Let's move beyond promises that we never really intended to keep, and instead focus on a realistic and meaningful solution to being the best dad we can.  We need to understand that 2013 will be full of choices. The question to ask is, will we simply choose what we want, or will we consider how choosing what we want will affect our children, family and friends?  In many cases, we have become a "me first" society.  We often consider what we want first and foremost. We rarely consider how our actions in pursuit of what we want might influence those around us. The late Zig Ziglar was quoted as saying, "You can have anything you want as long as you help enough people get what they want".  So with that, I’m asking that we put our resolutions on hold, instead let’s work together for solutions.  

Sometimes to find the very best solutions we need to clearly define what we may be lacking or looking for.  To find the best solutions, we need to ask the right questions.  As the Polen family was anxiously awaiting for the ball to drop while enjoying the Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year Special with Ryan Secrest, -- ok let me clearly define this huge overstatement --- as I sat alone watching, as Reese and Kendall were tightly snuggled into their beds and while Gretchen was sacked out in her favorite oversized hooded sweatshirt snuggled under her well worn blanket.  I found myself beginning to reflect about my goals and dreams for my family, about my purpose in life.  While listening and seeing the excitement from entertainers and the millions in attendance, a question kept popping into my head.  Why do we do what we do? 

Watching as time continued to pass, marking the end of 2012, I began to intently listen to people interviewed discussing their resolutions. I began to think how empty many of the people’s words were.  Time after time there seemed to be no purpose, just an empty resolution that obviously would never lead to a solution.  As my restlessness and multitasking set it, (my co-workers know what I mean) Gretchen decided to join the party.  As promised to Kendall earlier, at approximately 11:30 I made the trip upstairs, and before I could even finish asking the question, she popped up and was eager to join the party too.  Kendall bolted down the steps and quickly moved into a comfy position on the couch to watch the ball drop with us.  This was big for her, as this would mark her second consecutive year that she got to ring in the New Year.  Reese has yet to make this hour, so we decided it would be best just to let her sleep.

As the excitement grew and the time began to quickly go down, the solution to my question began to crystallize.  I knew exactly why we do what we do.  It was easy to see in the eyes of an eight year old ringing in the New Year.  By asking this question over and over, more and more questions kept popping into my head.  I believe that we do what we do to as dads to add value to others, to serve others, and to intentionally and unconditionally love your children.  When it comes down to the man who has the greatest influence in a child's life, Dad is No. 1, according to research garnered from Hallmark’s online consumer communities.  Members of opinion groups said that Dads instilled values, taught lessons and was the most important man in their lives. Overall, they called him a “hero,” and characterized him as “strict, but fair.” The role of dad has broadened. Some respondents said their dad told them they could be anything they wanted to be and do anything they wanted to do, giving them a sense of independence.  

In 2013 are we willing to work on solutions as fathers, as our child’s hero, mentor and role model?  How will our solutions demonstrate that true love is unconditional love?  Will we become an "intentional dads"?  We will be by being mind­ful of the pre­cious moments with our fam­ilies.  I'm sure you have all heard this before: "Things that mat­ter take real effort." We need to work at it every day and we will improve. We need to really search and want to find a solution.  And when we do, it’s so worth it.


Monthly Quote: “Dads, the greatest earthly gifts we can provide are our presence and influence.” —Chuck Swindoll


Monthly Challenge:  Ask yourself why you pursue the passions you pursue.   Ask yourself, "Why do I do what I do? What is my purpose? After asking yourself, take the time to reflect and journal your list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment