Monday, July 8, 2013

Everybody has a Story



Oprah Winfrey has been quoted as saying, "Everybody has a story".  This past month I celebrated my birthday.  Halloween morning, I awoke to a great surprise as the joys of my life, Kendall and Reese came rushing down the stairs to wish me a happy birthday.  It was a special morning as each of them had picked out their own card and signed their own name, a first for Reese.  They were each so proud of their selections, and listened attentively as I read both of their choices aloud.  Their selections fit them to a tee.  This was a very special family day.   

Looking back over birthday pasts, this would certainly rank right up there as one of the best days of my life.  It also got me thinking, "What is my story?”  To answer that question, Kendall and I returned to my hometown.  What started out innocently enough as a quick stop after Sunday school soon became one of the most emotional and enjoyable days of being a father.   This day turned out to bring unbelievable perspective and influence and made the title of "Daddy” so rewarding.  This visit to my hometown allowed us to go to my own father's grave site.  This obviously was not our first visit, but this day was different than most.  You see, my dad's birthday was a mere two days after mine, so it became customary that we would celebrate our birthdays together.  We would have a cake split in half with both our names and well wishes spelled out.  It made blowing out the candles very special. So this visit was different in the sense that we were there to wish my father, happy birthday.  

After spending some time reminding Kendall the reason and importance of our visit, she wondered if she could wish my dad, her grandfather that she had never met, happy birthday.  For her to mention that, to hear her utter the words, "Happy Birthday Grandpa" made me incredibly proud of her.  But then I was even more floored by the caring of a seven- year- old, when she said, "Maybe I should make him a birthday card."  So we retreated to the car, where we had ample enough supplies for her to make a very meaningful card to leave behind.  I was speechless; I was amazed and incredibly proud.  And thus this is where the story really began. 

As we started to leave the cemetery, she kept looking back, stating “I can still she my card", another turn, "I can still see it".  As we exited the grounds, questions started coming from the backseat, and my story started to unfold.  We traveled up and down the streets of my hometown, reminiscing about where my friends used to live, the places that we played, the yards that I mowed.  I shared stories of where we rode our sleds and how my dad, a former truck driver, brought home the huge inner tubes for the best sled riding.  And then we pulled up to the house I grew up in.  The country music song by Miranda Lambert, The House that Built Me began to play in my head.  I actually know of the people that live in the house now, and hope to someday visit the inside.  However, on this day we just stopped out front and reminisced.  I shared with my daughter how it used to look, and where the different rooms were located.  We drove around to the back alley where I was able to point out the window where the bedroom I shared with my brother was located.  I shared stories of how we used to play football, wiffleball and climbed apple trees.  I spoke of neighbors, many of which no longer live in the homes around mine as well.

Everything looked so small, until the voice came from the backseat once again.  "Boy daddy, you sure were lucky."  Wow!, talk about getting chills.  You know what, she was right.  Looking back, I wouldn't have changed where and how I grew up for anything in the world.  I was lucky.  What started out simply enough turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days I have had as a dad.  I haven't called that place home since 1991, but it felt like home on this day.  I hope my children currently feel as lucky as I did when I was their age.

Did I mention the most beautiful ending?  As we made the final turn onto the driveway of our home, the voice from the backseat spoke up once again, "You know daddy, when I grow up and come back to our house with my family, I will be able to say, "See those two windows, that's where my room used to be". Thanks to a special day, I had the opportunity to share my story, what’s yours?

Monthly Challenge: Sometimes getting out of the house is important. Hop in the family car and go for a drive.  Plan a roadtrip with your children to revisit the place where you grew up.  If this is not possible, sit down and share your childhood memories through pictures and words.


Monthly Quote:  "Don't ever forget, you will always be special to your children because you are their dad, you are their father." - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment